Hampstead at home - 5 Apr 2003

With Hampstead still having a perfect record in the league, and Purley's only defeat being a 12-13 loss to Hampstead, a loss today would give the championship to Hampstead. No doubt with this in mind, Hampstead came out fired-up at the start of the first quarter, and for the first five minutes looked to be unstoppable. The Purley attacked hardly managed to touch the ball, and at the other end Hampstead notched up three goals, admittedly the second being rather fortuitous as the ball hit the post and went in off the keepers foot from the rebound, but the way they were playing they deserved that touch of luck. However, Purley steadied the ship, and started to gain more possession. Goals from Tim Richmond & Jamie Tasko brought the score back to 2-3, and then a minute before quarter time Tim Richmond drew the Hampstead cover, and fed an open Greame Holland who drew the scores level.

With the score 3-3 at quarter time, it was looking like it would be a tense game, but Purley had settled now, and though the game was still tight they started to take control, taking a 6-3 lead before Hampstead pulled back to 6-4 with a man-up goal just before half time.

With the game still in the balance, Purley knew the first goal in the second half would be vital - and within a couple of minutes Jamie Tasko duly obliged. The Purley ride was working especially well, which helped Purley to gain long periods of possession which they used to good effect to build up the lead to 10-4 at three-quarter time.

If Hampstead did have any hope of pulling back a 6-goal deficit in the last quarter it was rapidly dashed, as within a minute Mike Barrett had put Purley 11-4 up. The goals continued to flow for Purley, including a sweet right-handed shot from Tim Richmond (he seems to be proud of that for some reason), taking the final score to 15-4.

Goals: Jamie Tasko 4, Sam Bugeja 3, Mike Barrett 3, Tim Richmond 2, Ryan Lynch 2, Graeme Holland 1

A special thanks must go to both refs - Simon Peach had been at a meeting in Germany in the morning, and arrived directly from the airport, and Ray Nash had originally just come to watch - but stepped into the breach when it seemed Simon wouldn't make it on time. Thanks.